The Ekadasi that falls in the Krishna Paksha (waning phase of the moon) of Phalguna month was faithfully observed by a great epic hero, Lord Rama to gain vijaya (victory) over Ravana! The glories of this Ekadasi known as Vijaya Ekadasi are explained by Lord Krishna to King Yudhishtira in the .
Glories of Vijaya Ekadasi:
Lord Hanuman came back to Lord Rama with the news of Sita Devi who is held captive by Ravana. Lord Rama along with His army marched towards the ocean only to realize that the ocean is too vast and deep to cross over. On the wise counsel of Bakad Albhya Muni, Lord Rama faithfully observed the glorious Vijaya Ekadasi vrata. He then found a means to cross over the ocean and thus, defeated the demon king Ravana!
Appropriate way to observe Vijaya Ekadasi vrat:
• Take a copper/clay water pot and fill it with water.
• Decorate it with mango leaves.
• Place the water pot on a mound of seven grains (wheat, corn, barley, chickpeas, millet, rice and dahl/peas) on your puja altar.
• Close the water pot and place a deity of Lord Narayana (Vishnu) over the lid.
• Worship the deity along with the water pot with sandalwood paste, Tulasi leaves, flowers, incense, ghee lamp, fruits like pomegranate and coconut.
• On the next day (Dwadasi) worship the deity of Lord Narayana along with the water pot and donate the same along with the mound of grains to a learned Brahmin.
There are certain other rules that need to be followed on any Ekadasi in general. Please refer to our article, “: What to do and what not to do” for more details. (Insert a hyper-link of this article from our blog)
Significance of Vijaya Ekadasi vrat:
• Blesses one with victory in all the endeavours.
• One who even reads or hears the glories of Vijaya Ekadasi achieves the result of a Vajapeya sacrifice (yajna).
• Blesses with the ability to overcome both the external and internal (lust, anger, greed, illusion, pride and envy) enemies.
• Vijaya Ekadasi is observed by the devotees to remember and celebrate the victory of Lord Rama over Ravana upon observing the same vrat.
• Vijaya Ekadasi is known as Pankoddhar Ekadasi in Orissa.
This year, Vijaya Ekadasi falls on 26th of February. Please break your fast between 06:48AM and 10:38AM on 27 February 2014.
OnlineTemple.com wishes all the devotees a very happy Vijaya Ekadasi. May Samara Vijaya Rama (Lord Rama who was victorious in the battle) bless you with courage, victory and happiness always!