Varuthini Ekadasi, also known as Baruthani Ekadasi is dedicated to the worship of Lord Vamana, the fifth incarnation of Lord Vishnu. It falls during the Krishna paksha (waning phase of the moon) of the Vaisakha month of the . The glories of Varuthini Ekadasi are described by Lord Krishna to King Yudhishtira in .
Glories and significance of Varuthini Ekadasi vrat:
• The faithful observer is blessed with happiness, good fortune and freedom from sins.
• Bestows material enjoyment in the current life and liberation after death.
• Maharaja Dhundhumara of the Ikshvaku dynasty who suffered from leprosy due to the curse of Lord Shiva was freed from the disease by fasting on Varuthini Ekadasi.
• King Mandhata was liberated by the proper observance of Varuthini Ekadasi.
• Bestows the merit of performing austerities and penances for ten thousand years.
• Equivalent to the merit of donating a huge quantity of gold during a solar eclipse at .
• The merit gained by one who fasts on Varuthini Ekadasi is greater than the collective merit achieved by donating horses, elephants, land, sesame seeds, grains, gold, cows, tarpan to ancestors and teaching spiritual knowledge to the ignorant.
• One who gives away a young maiden decorated with gold ornaments in marriage to a worthy person receives the merit that cannot be described even by . The very same merit can be gained by one who fasts on Varuthini Ekadasi.
This year, Varuthini Ekadasi falls on 25th of April. Please break your fast between 05:49AM and 08:25AM on 26 April 2014.
OnlineTemple.com wishes you all a very happy Varuthini Ekadasi!