The Ekadasi that occurs during the Krishna paksha (waning phase of the moon) of the Ashada month is known as Yogini Ekadasi. The glories of Yogini Ekadasi are mentioned in the as explained by to king Yudhishtira.
Glories of Yogini Ekadasi:
In Alakapuri, had a gardener called Hemamali who was in charge of plucking and collecting flowers from Manasa-sarovara lake for the worship of Lord Shiva which was performed on a daily basis by Kubera. One day Hemamali collected flowers but did not return to the palace of Kubera. Instead he was absorbed in spending intimate time with his wife. Kubera waited for long for the flowers and later realized through a messenger about the activities of Hemamali. This angered Kubera to a great degree and he cursed Hemamali to become a leper.
Thus cursed by Kubera, Hemamali fell down from the heavenly planet to the deep forests on Earth. He gradually reached the Himalaya mountain range. By his good fortune, he met who was very compassionate. Upon learning from Hemamali about his disease and the reason behind the disease, he advised Hemamali to observe the Ekadasi vrat that falls during the Krishna paksha of the Ashada month. Hemamali sincerely observed the Yogini Ekadasi vrat upon the advice of Markandeya Rishi and was relieved of his dreadful condition. He made his way back to Alakapuri and lived happily ever after.
Appropriate way to observe Yogini Ekadasi vrat:
• Lord Narasimha is the presiding deity of Yogini Ekadasi. Worship Lord Narasimha along with on Yogini Ekadasi.
• Visit a nearby temple of Lord Narasimha/Lord Vishnu.
• If is available, it would make a great offering for Yogini Ekadasi. Consider making an offering of the same at home or at the temple.
This year, Yogini Ekadasi falls on 23rd of June. Please break your fast between 05:28AM and 08:14AM on 24 June 2014.
Significance of the observance of Yogini Ekadasi vrat:
• The merit gained by feeding eighty-eight thousand brahmanas is achieved by the proper observance of Yogini Ekadasi.
• It destroys all the sinful reactions.
• It awards liberation.
• It is very powerful and auspicious and thus, makes one pious.
OnlineTemple.com wishes you all a very happy Yogini Ekadasi. May Sri Lakshmi Narasimha bless you all with good health, happiness and long life.