Posted On January 24, 20150 Comments
Today is Vasant Panchami, one of the most important spring festivals in India. As per the traditional Hindu calendar, this festival falls on the 5th day of the bright half (Shukla Paksha) of the Magh month. The word “Vasant” means spring and the word “Panchami” means “fifth”. Hindus believe that it is the most auspicious day to begin any new ventures, functions etc. as it is the birthday of Goddess Saraswati, the Goddess of music, arts, knowledge and wisdom. Hence, this festival is also known by the names Saraswati Panchami and Shri Panchami.
- Toddlers are taught their first alphabet on this day. This process is known as Akshara-abhyasam or Vidya-arambham.
- Special pujas are held in honor of Goddess Saraswati and students pray for Her divine blessings.
- Devotees wear yellow colored clothes and offer yellow colored flowers such as yellow chrysanthemum and yellow roses to Goddess Saraswati.
- Sweets are prepared with saffron strands in order to make them look yellow. The sweets are offered to the Goddess and are later distributed as Prasad.
- Temples across India dress up the idols of Radha-Krishna in attractive yellow colored garments as it is believed that Lord Krishna loves the spring season as well as the yellow color.
- Devotees visit Radha-Krishna temples on this day and offer special prayers.
Order Prasad of your beloved deity on this auspicious day at http://www.onlinetemple.com/ and receive divine blessings.
Leave a comment