The remembrance of the most precious ones in your life is of great importance. After the sad demise of your dear ones, the performance of Atma Shanti puja or Shraddh is a prime requisite. By performing the rites of this ritual, you will be praying for the tranquility of the departed souls. Moreover, this ritual emits positive energy and renders useful assistance to the departed souls on their eternal journey after death. Primarily, after the sorrowful demise of a person, the Atma Shanti poojan or ritual is performed on every month until a year. Post the yearly period, one can perform the ritual once in a year.
According to the religious sayings of Sankara Bhagavatpaada, life post death does not transcend to a different world. Rather it stays in its original place of existence and relocates itself with the birth of a new life. Now, this new birth can be in any living form. Primarily, the subsequent janam or birth gets determined by the balance of good and evil deed of the person during his lifetime. By performing the Atma Shanti puja, one can offer prayers for the emancipation of the souls of the near and loved ones as well as request for a better condition of life in their next births. Additionally, the attainment of moksha or salvation of the departed soul is also of great importance.
Famous quotes from Sri Sankara essay the true essence of a simple life. According to him Maa kuru dhana jana yowvana garvam, harati nimaeshaat kaalah sarvam. He warns people from being over enthusiastic and confident by the presence of unprecedented wealth, people or loved ones as well as the beauty around them. Whenever there is an opportunity for introspection, one must give up to their worldly wishes and concentrate on the Vedic principles of liberation. Following the essence of Sri Sankara’a sayings, it is beneficial to the departed soul if you choose to light a moksha deepam or the light of true salvation for them. Moreover, in the areas of Kaasi, Kanchi, and Chidambaram, there exists several Mukti Kshetrams, where you can arrange for this offering.
Performing an Atma Shanti poojan on the 11th day, post demise is of great importance for the liberation of the soul. Now, there are several methodologies for performing the poojan, and you need to select diligently the appropriate measures to ensure a better after life for your loved ones. According to some of the distinguished rituals, the processes include:
- Two priests perform the last rites. Among both of them, one would pose as the departed soul and several offerings are made to him. Firstly, pristine cleaning of his feet is done.
- Smearing sandalwood paste is the next significant process.
- Clothes and food items are offered to him to ensure hassle-free life post demise.
- Customary to the ritual, feeding the poor has to be done. But prior to that, you have to seek the blessings of the departed soul.
The sincere utterance of the shanti mantras and diligent performance of the rituals paves a better path for the post death journey of your loved one’s souls. Now, the elaborate ritualistic observations also require the utmost fulfillment of the Puja samagri or ingredients. While observing the rituals of Atma Shanti puja, the ingredients are the key factors. The list includes:
- Flowers, for offering to the demised soul. It is advisable to bring one bouquet of flowers.
- Fruits for offering.
- Pure cow’s milk of an approximate amount of half a gallon. Pure milk is essential, and no skim milk should be offered.
- Mud lamps, generally three in number.
- Half cup ghee for offering.
- To light the lamp, the priests use threads that are manufactured of 100% cotton. Popularly, these threads are known as thiri.
- Rice, vegetables, and other food items for offering or daan.
- Dakshina for the priest, as he is the medium, successfully offering your prayers.